GREAT PLAINS WOODCARVERS
51st ANNUAL WOODCARVING SHOW AND SALE
MAY 20th & 21st, 2017
The Great Plains Woodcarvers invite you to participate in our 51st Annual Show and Sale.
Place: Cessna Activity Center, 2744 S. George Washington Blvd., Wichita, Kansas.
Show Co-Chairs: Ed Redwine, Scott Kailer, Greg Mahoney
Set-Up: Saturday, May 20th 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Show Time: Saturday, May 20th 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m
Sunday, May 21st 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Booth Fee: $40 per table space (includes one standard 30” X 30” X 8-ft table). Tables must be covered on all sides to the floor. Chairs are provided at no cost to the exhibitor, but you may also furnish your own chairs if you prefer. If you are using a tall backboard to display carvings, please indicate that on your application.
Electricity: The Activity Center is well lighted. Some electric outlets are available on the perimeter of the building, at no cost to the exhibitor. They will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. Your table location will be determined by the outlet locations.
COMMERCIAL SPACE IS LIMITED AND MUST BE APPROVED BY THE SHOW CHAIRS.
Food on Premises: The Activity Center has a full service snack bar. Sandwiches, chili, chips and drinks are available at the Snack Bar for exhibitors and guests of the show.
Brunch: Sunday Brunch will be held at Spear’s Restaurant, 4323 W. Maple, beginning at 8:00 a.m. You will pay as you enter. Cost will be $10.25 per person and includes tax, tip and drink. Seating will be limited. Please mark your application if you plan on attending the brunch. If you make a reservation and find that you cannot attend the Sunday Brunch, please let one of the Co-Chairs know that you will not be there.
Hotel Accommodations: If you need information on local hotels/motels, please indicate that on your entry form and this information will be sent to you.
Purchase Awards: Purchase Awards will be held on Sunday, May 21st. Award amounts, rules and times will be provided in your show packet.
- Artists must exhibit their own handcrafted work.
- The show committee reserves the right to accept or reject any entry and to assign space as entries are received.
- No more than two (2) exhibitors per table.
- The Wichita Police Department will provide overnight security. An officer will be in the Activity Center at all times while the show is closed.
- Displays must be set up by show opening and may not be disassembled before close of show, 4:00 p.m. Sunday.
- Sales tax must be collected on all sales. If you have a Kansas Tax Number, please list it on your entry form. If not, you will be provided with a temporary number by the State. Filling out of this form is your responsibility.
- There will be a one-hour carving contest at 2:00 on Sunday.
- Exhibitors’ tags will be collected on Sunday afternoon at the close of the show.
JUDGING RULES AND GUIDELINES
Only registered exhibitors may enter the judging competition.
- All pieces must be hand-crafted by the artist.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons will be awarded in each category at the discretion of the Show
- Any one artist may submit only one piece per category.
- No art piece may be entered in more than one category.
- Entries that have won 1st place ribbons in previous Great Plains Woodcarvers Shows, may not be entered.
- All woodcarving entries must have been completed in the last two years.
- An entry tag must accompany all entries. Artist’s name must be covered.
2017 Woodcarving Categories Show Judge: Debbie Edwards
- Realistic Human Bust: Single human bust, any finish. A visually accurate carving in the round that depicts a person’s head, shoulders, and upper chest, fully carved in the round.
- Realistic Human Figure: Single human figure, any finish. A full bodied, visually accurate carved representation in the round.
- Realistic Single Animal: A visually accurate, full bodied, carved representation in the round, any finish.
- Realistic Animal Bust: A visually accurate carving depicting an animal’s head, shoulders, and upper chest, fully carved in the round. Bird busts must be entered in Miscellaneous.
- Realistic Group (Human, Animal, or Mixed): Full bodied, any finish. Must be permanently mounted as a group on a common base. Includes realistic birds or fish in combination with any other species (reptiles, etc., no matter what size). Natural, stained, or burned wildfowl must be entered in Miscellaneous. Group may not include a mythical figure.
- Stylized: Single or group, natural finish, any subject.
- Realistic Fish, Fresh or Salt Water: Single or group, any finish.
- Realistic Marine Life, Amphibian or Reptile: Single or group, any finish.
- Cane or Staff: Any subject, any finish.
- Mythical Creatures/Carousel Animals: Single or group, any finish. Includes wizards, witches, fairies, dragons, elves, unicorns, gnomes, etc. Santas must be entered in the Christmas category.
- Christmas Item: Any Christmas subject, any finish, in the round or relief. May include single figures or groups. Includes Santa, ornaments, bells, wreaths, etc.
- Wood burning or Pyrography: Any subject, any finish, must be on a smooth surface, no carving.
- Chip Carving: Any subject, any finish.
- Low Relief: Any subject, any finish. Fully modeled no undercutting; includes intaglio, incised, and bas.
- High Relief: Any subject, any finish, fully modeled and undercut.
- Religious: Carvings with a religious theme single or group. Includes crosses, angels, Menorahs, crucifixes, Nativity scenes, etc. Any finish.
- Carved Jewelry: Any subject, any finish. Includes any carving that may be worn as jewelry, in the round or in relief. Includes necklaces, broaches, earrings, pendants, pins, bolo ties, belt buckles, etc.
- Realistic Song Bird: Single, full body and painted. Specific species determined by the species list for World Class Carving, available at the check-in table.
- Realistic Bird of Prey: Single, full body and painted.
- Realistic Waterfowl: Single, full body or flat bottom decoy, painted.
- Realistic Game Bird: Single, full body and painted.
- Realistic Shorebird or Seabird: Single, fully body and painted.
- Bird Group: Any combination of two or more birds, full body and painted. Carvings that include any other species must be entered in Realistic Group. Natural, stained, or burned wildfowl must be entered in Miscellaneous.
- Caricature Human: Single full human figure, any finish. Carvings must be in the round, and must exaggerate or distort physical features for a humorous effect.
- Caricature Single Human in a Scene: Any finish. To qualify as a scene, a portion of the scene, not including the base, must be detached from the full human figure. For example: a cowboy holding a bottle in his hand is considered a single figure. If the bottle is lying on the base, separate from the figure, the carving will be classified as a scene. Carvings with more than one living creature, excluding plants, must be entered in category 24.
- Caricature Single Animal, Bird or Fish: Any finish, full figure. Carvings must be in the round and must exaggerate or distort a distinctive feature to produce a humorous effect.
- Caricature Group: Any subject, any finish. A group consisting of at least two, full-figured living creatures and must be permanently affixed to a common base. (Dead humans or animals will count as living creatures).
- Caricature Bust: Single figure caricature bust that depicts a head, shoulders, and upper chest. Carvings must be in the round, and must exaggerate or distort physical features for a humorous effect. Any finish.
- Bottlestopper: Any bust or figure designed specifically to be used as a bottle stopper. Must be affixed to a cork, capable of being displayed on a bottle. Any finish.
- Spindle Turning: Spindle turning, or turning between centers. Wood turned on its center axis. Grain of the wood parallel to the ways of the lathe. Any subject, any finish.
- Bowl or open vessel: Wood turned and orientated at right angles to the axis of the lathe. Opened, hollowed vessel (not closed).
- Miscellaneous woodturning: Any other turned item. Examples include hollow form closed vessel or segmented turning. Any subject, any finish
- Whittled Novelties, Boots, Shoes and Toys: Carved or whittled piece. Carved with hand tools, no sanding.
- Miniature: Any subject, any finish. Must fit completely within a 2” x 2” x 2” box.
- Miscellaneous: Includes any carving that does not fit in the above categories. (Natural, stained, or burned wildfowl, bird busts). Also includes any of the above categories not judged due to lack of entries. Carvings with their own category cannot be entered in Miscellaneous.
- Novice: Any subject, any finish. Open to any NOVICE carver who has never won a 1st or 2nd place ribbon in any woodcarving show. No instructor assisted pieces.
- Rough-out: Any subject, single or group, carved from a commercial rough-out which is not the original design of the carver. Must be completely carved by the submitting carver. Any finish. No instructor assisted pieces.
- Categories with 3 or less entries may not be judged. If a category is not judged due to lack of entries, those pieces may be entered in the (Miscellaneous) category.
- Carvings fitting a specific category must be entered into that category. The Judging Committee reserves the right to move any entry to the most appropriate category.
- All entries must be at the check-in table 15 minutes prior to judging time.
- Merit Awards will be awarded, at the discretion of the Show Judge, in each of six (6) category groups. Details will be provided in your show packets.
- Best-of-Show will be selected from the Merit Award winners.
- Detailed information, definitions, and explanations will be provided in your show packet at check in.
The decisions of the Show Judge are final.
Great Plains Woodcarvers Show and Sale – May 20 & 21, 2017
Special requests for table location will be honored, if possible.
Exhibitor “A” Name____________________________________ Phone ( ) _______________________
Address ________________________ Exhibitor “B” Name: (if entering competition) _________________
City __________________________ State _____ Zip _______ E-mail ___________________________
Helper’s Name: (not competing) ________________________________________________
Local motel information requested: _____Yes _____No
If you wish to be next to another exhibitor, please list: _______________________. (We’ll try our best)
Subject of your exhibit: Woodcarving _____ Books ____ Tools _____ Castings _____ Wood ______
Blanks_____ Rough-outs _____
I will be using a back board: Yes______ No______
Do you need access to electricity? Yes ____ No______ (subject to availability on a first come-first serve basis)
Entry Fee: One table and/or one space (approx. 10′ x 9′). Number of tables/spaces _____X $40 ea. = $________.
If you do not want a table in your space, please check here: _____.
Note: You must cover your table on all sides to the floor.
Brunch: Do you plan on attending the Sunday Brunch? Yes___ No___ If so how many? ______ Due to limited space, you must make reservations. You will pay at the Spear’s Restaurant, If you make a reservation and find that you cannot attend, please notify one of the Co-Chairs.
NOTE: Sales tax must be collected on all sales. If you have a Kansas Tax number, please list it on your entry form. If not, you will be provided with a temporary number by the State of Kansas. Filing this tax form is your responsibility. A Kansas Tax schedule will be in your packet.
If you have a Kansas Tax Number please record it here: ________________________. (Or attach a copy).
The Great Plains Woodcarvers and the Cessna Activity Center waive all responsibility for any loss, damage, or injury resulting from attendance at, or participation in this show.
Exhibitor’s Signature(s) ___________________________________________ Date _____________
Please make all checks payable to: Great Plains Woodcarvers
Mail or Email to: Scott Kailer
4756 N. Baja St.
Wichita, KS 67204
Please share this Show application with other carvers in your club or area.